Our approach to supervision
To ensure standards are maintained in the profession, we undertake supervision activities in relation to the Costs Lawyers that we regulate. This involves monitoring conduct in areas that we have identified as posing a high risk of non-compliance or a high risk of poor consumer outcomes in the event of non-compliance.
Our supervision activities include measures such as:
- auditing the continuing professional development (CPD) records of Costs Lawyers
- requiring annual provision of insurance certificates
- collating data about first tier complaints dealt with by Costs Lawyers
- working with the Legal Ombudsman to monitor second tier complaints data
- requiring annual provision of Costs Lawyers’ complaints procedures and auditing these
- collating data on the composition and nature of the profession
Our approach to supervision is summarised in our Supervision Policy.